I don't think I really know any Mexicans. Sure, I have seen them before, but I don't really know any.
Which makes me wonder, in a city so "allegedly" overrun with the ever-growing Hispanic population, why don't Mac and I have any Mexi-pals? Does it count that when I called Amigo's Mexican Grille (shout out to them for always making my order exactly how I want it!) last night, after I placed my to-go order, the guy on the phone totally recognized my voice.
Manuel:Hey, do I know who this is?
Me:Yeah, it's me
Manuel: Man, I haven't talked to you forever -- they've had me over at the other location. It's been like 3 months, I wondered if you were still coming.
Me: Well, I'm glad you are back. I gave up you guys for Lent, so I just started back a few weeks ago. Who is the chick that has been answering lately?
Manuel: That's my cousin, she's kind of slow in the head, isn't she?
Me: Yeah, dude, when I call we go through the same shit every week where she acts like she doesn't understand what I'm saying so I finally have to tell her to just go to the back and tell them it's me -- they know what I want
Manuel: She's really stupid
Me: Well, I missed you guys. Tell your brother I said hey. How is your Dad?
Manuel: He's alright, just working us all the time... You on your way?
Me: Yeah.
Manuel: Just give me 8 minutes. Just park at the door.
You think I eat there too much?
We are going to let my relationship with the owner's son at Amigos Mexican Grille count.
In other, but somewhat related news, at the gym last night, Kandis and I were sitting on the window ledge with Edison when his phone rang. He answered in the middle of our conversation and started speaking in a foreign language to, most likely, his wife. Kandis says, "Is he speaking Mexican?" which is funny for several reasons:
1. the obvious: Mexican isn't a language
2. Kandis is an exceptionally intelligent person
3. Edison is Puerto Rican, not Mexican
4. I was delirious from that freaking hard as hell Body Attack class we had just taken (courtesy of Snow White Allison the Drill Sergeant from Hell, Les Mills, and Riviera Fitness of Homewood)
Skipping back --
Can I say that I LOVE the fact that my Mexi-pal called his cousin stupid and slow?