According to Lo, that is the most effort a man should make in trying to determine whether or not a female is interested. His theory is, if a women does not respond to a man after two texts and a phone call, then she does not wish to have any further involvement with said male. Makes sense to me, I guess.
I am not very single-savvy, as Theo and I have been together since the ripe old age of 19, so I really have no clue as to whether or not this is a reasonable assumption. It sounds about right to me, though. Now, granted, I was a mere teen back when the last male persued me, but I recall being downright giddy whenever the phone would ring, hoping it was him. I THINK I had a Caller ID box connected to my dorm-room phone at the time, however, I am a bit fuzzy on those details. But I do know that I was hoping, wishing, whatever, that he would call - thus letting me know that he was interested, too. Texting wasn't really a "thing" back then, we did have our pagers, but I am pretty sure I hadn't given him that number initially. I will say though, I still get pretty excited to get a sweet text from Mr. Mc, 10 years later.
Despite my leanings toward agreeing with the Two Texts and a Phone Call "rule", I think perhaps it may be a better idea to determine the actual logistics. For instance, perhaps the two texts and phone call all occur on the same day, a day when the would-be recipient is out-of-area or the battery has died on the cell. What then? I know sometimes, depending on the network, I don't even realize I have a missed call unless the person has left a voicemail, which, based on my knowledge of Lo, doubt he would leave a voice message. What if I don't have a text plan? I know that seems kind of like cell blasphemy, but seriously there are people without texts. Like my parents. That annoys the crap out of me - sometimes I just want to text my mom instead of talking. Just let her know I was thinking about her. We found out the hard way that she didn't have a text plan. My dad flipped when he got the bill that month. FLIPPED. Dude, just get texting. He didn't. I digress. What if my screen is broken? What if I am on a cruise/plane/island? What if I dropped my phone in the toilet? There are just so many variables to consider!
We also discussed when is the appropriate time for the communication to occur.
SCENARIO A
Two young professional people meet at a social environment (bar, sports grille, lounge) on a Saturday night. Randal suggests that the "smooth" thing to do would be to contact the female and ask her to meet you (him) after church for lunch. This says to a woman, 1 - he goes to church, 2 - he is interested in seeing me again (and soon!), and 3- this isn't about sex (I personally think that this is probably the best way to get sex - to make it look like it isn't about sex).
SCENARIO B
Two meet at a social setting involving friends (holiday/sports/friendly gathering) on a Saturday night. Once interest has been established, the two will likely go to their respective friends to discover more details regarding the person of interest. Monday, contact will need to be established to perhaps arrange a meeting for later in the week.
This has never happened to me, so I cannot comment either way. According to them, these two scenarios are a typical meet-cute. Okay.
The conversation really didn't get anywhere because Kandis said that Randal didn't do either of those things and she ended up asking him out. And then they had a small tiff and I changed the subject back to what originally spawned the conversation in the first place -- me being through with J because I have been wanting him to show more initiative in wooeing women. Randal went emo for a moment, as he do. He's a cute little emo-boy, though. When he and Kandis get married and have children, as they will -- I have claimed it! -- I hope he has a little boy who goes emo on him like that so he can see what it looks like. Not that I want my little nephew to be emo, but you get what I am saying.
Back to J. He is such a great guy and I really want him to have a meaningful relationship with a woman. And I know a great one who is pretty and kind and sweet, but I think she is a bit reserved. And neither one of them is going to make the first move. Just go on a date already!
I think I am obessed with dating because I never did it. THANK GOD. Because just trying to get other people to do it is stressing me out. I would probably stare at the ceiling all night wondering why my 2 texts are and why I wasn't worthy of being asked to lunch on Sunday after church. So, yay for Theo and I getting to skip all that noise. I cannot imagine dating in the FB era either. NIGHTMARE! People go batshit when they see stuff like "in a relationship" or "it's complicated" as your relationship status. That is just so...nosy anyway.
Ugh, anyway, let me go. I need to send Theo a text. Or two.